Thursday, December 25, 2008

Cecelia Raine Allen




On November 23rd, 2008, at 6:56 AM, Jessica and I welcomed our little miracle angel, Cecelia Raine Allen. She weighed 6 lbs, 14 oz and measured 19.5 inches; she's a tiny little thing.

Although it only took nine months to wait on her arrival, it sure seemed like longer. Not too long before her birth day, the midwife told Jessica that she'd be surprised if she made it another week without going into labor. Seeing how this was about 2 1/2 weeks before we were due, the wait then seemed drag out substantially.

The day finally arrived, though. I made my best effort not to "freak out" as Jessica so aptly described it, and we had a truly wonderful labor experience. I have had friends tell me in the past and have also read about how much more husbands fall in love with their wives after birth. To say that I love Jessica more now would be an understatement; she is my hero, my inspiration, and I am so lucky and proud to call her my wife. She was so strong during the labor that I was in complete awe of her afterwards. Cecelia is a month and 3 days old now, and I still can't get over how amazing Jess was; I absolutely love her with all my heart.

The product of the whole birth extravaganza is our little Cece Queen. She's already growing out of some outfits, proving the so many correct who have told us repeatedly "they grow up so fast." I watched Father of the Bride the other day with the comic genius Steve Martin. The movie starts out with him winding down after the wedding has ended, and he's talking to the camera. He begins talking to fathers out there about what it's like to raise a daughter, and I was glued to the television. Granted, it is only a movie, this is a scene I would likely have not given a second thought to a few years back. It was almost as if Martin was talking directly to me now since I have a daughter myself.

I cannot explain how it feels to be a daddy. Honestly, the shock and awe may still be persisting. It's hard to believe that she is a product of the love we share in our household (or apartmenthold, if that's a word; shouldn't I know that? I'm an English teacher).

I love dressing her up in her little outfits and taking great pictures of her. I'm not a big fan of the ones where she is painfully upset during the photo session because it's apparent she does not approve at the time. We've been so blessed by all the great clothes that our friends and loved ones have given Cece. She looks best in her brown outfits that have touches of pinks, greens, or purples throughout the look. By the same token, however, she looks good in anything as far as I'm concerned.

Bath time might be my favorite time. Her first bath at the Birth & Women's Center was such an amazing experience; it felt like it was just me and her in the world for those few minutes. Each night, we try to make the bath part of our routine. She has a little duck bath that quacks when you push its bill. She usually seems so serene, kicking her feet and relaxing while we scrub her little arms and legs and wash her hair. There have been a handful of times when hunger has overtaken her, rendering her incapable of enjoying her generally happy bath time. We've recently gotten into the habit of putting her little towel into the dryer to warm it up so she's not so cold right out of the tub: I think she appreciates it. Jess gives her a little massage after that before we diaper her up and get her into a sleeper outfit. It's such a fun routine!

It's been a privelege so far to be part the everchanging world of the Cece Queen, but it has been tough at times, too. The difficult nights are composed of constant crying that steadily crescendos into an unmistakable shriek that echoes throughout the streets of Allen, Texas. It's become evident to me that patience is indeed the most important virtue while raising an infant. Jessica would likely tell you that I have no patience at all but honestly, I'd say my patience level is 500% higher than it used to be. I always try to remember that if she's crying, there's a reason for it; something is wrong, and it's our job to figure out what it is. It's almost like a quest for a treasure. If we can unlock the secrets of her cry, the quiet, mellow evening that ensues becomes our pot of gold.

After a month in the book as a father, the best way to describe it is that our daughter is an absolute blessing. She's beautiful and day by day, she is developing her own little personality. I'm excited about blogging and updating about her life.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and have a happy and safe New Year!

1 comment:

  1. You are OUR hero! You do all of the work...I just supply the nourishment! We make a great team and I couldn't have asked for a sweeter daughter! She is truly a blessing from God! I love you so so very much! Thank you for everything you do for us :)

    ReplyDelete