Sunday, February 22, 2009

3rd Month of Fatherhood







I still find it hard to believe that I've been a father for 3 months (officially tomorrow). Day by day, Cecelia is growing and changing, developing her own little personality and expressions. This past weekend has been my favorite so far, the best two days (other than the "Big Day") I've had with my little girl. Yesterday morning, I tried to let Jess sleep in as much as possible, since she takes care of her all day during the week. We had a ball, and she had plenty of smiles and little giggles for daddy. We were up at 5 AM (if memory serves), back down at around 6, then back up around 8; each time, getting a little snack and then singing and playing. It's safe to say that Cece loves her daddy, which suits me just fine. :)

She's also becoming little miss independent. Playing on her little gym mats, sitting in her bumbo, and relaxing in bed, watching her mobiles have become some of her favorite things to do when she gets bored with mommy and daddy holding and talking to her. Songs from both of us bring loads of smiles and good times. It's becoming obvious that she has taken to the singing and should one day challenge daddy in a karaoke showdown (though we all know who would win that battle).

One of my favorite snapshots of the weekend came this morning when I was holding her, and we were having a conversation. Suddenly, she wasn't looking at me anymore and had become focused on my shirt. I realized I am wearing my USA Olympic shirt with the rings on the front, and it all became so clear to me: Cecelia Raine Allen, 2032 Olympic Medalist in the 5,000 meters or 10,000 meters. Mark it down; by then, I should be a halfway decent coach.

I can't wait until she can run around with me at cross country meets, yelling for our runners. I'm not saying that I am going to force her to be a runner but by keeping her options limited, I should have a really good shot (really, I'm kidding... or am I?).

I'm more in love with my family every day. I'm still amazed daily at how wonderful my wife is. Jessica does so much for us; she truly is Supermom. Cecelia is such a little angel, too. Every weekend, I find it harder to go back to work because it's so much fun hanging out with her. I'm so lucky to be part of such a great team!
Oh, I don't want to end this without giving a shout out to Tony, our little buddy, for being such a great dog. His protective side has reared its head, as every little peep that goes on outside our apartment invokes a bark from the little guy (as I write this, he's growling at something going on outside right now, no joke).
Overall, I truly feel like the luckiest man in the world. I hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

  1. ok so i blog stalked you from jess's blog. cece is getting so big and she is just darling!!! sounds like you are enjoying fatherhood! how is tony adapting?

    ReplyDelete